Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Entry #26

Entry #26

Wednesday, December 7

11:00 a.m. I understand that every now and then animals get run over, but I’ve seen so many roadside critters that I’m beginning to wonder if Texas drivers are aiming for them. (Why just drive when you can hunt 'n drive? Or for that matter talk 'n text n' hunt n' drive!) On the way to the kids’ school this morning, I drove past a rabbit, two raccoons, and a squirrel, all sprawled and unmoving in the street. On the way back, I saw a deer lying still on the meridian, as well as Huey the armadillo who's been in the same roadside spot since last October. (He's now completely flat.) I can see myself becoming the crazy local who stops her car to pick up dead animals off the road and give them a proper burial. Maybe I should upgrade to a pick-up truck.



After drop-off, I took Izzie to a place called the Texas Doghouse to have the owners meet her and observe her behavior with the other doggie daycare pups. This was Izzie’s “tryout” day. Hopefully all will go well so we can board her there when we visit the Bay Area over winter break.
The Texas Doghouse is located in a small shopping center adjacent to a trucking parts store, so it’s a far cry from the gated ten-acre spread we took Izzie to in Sonoma—same price though, surprisingly. The interior is clean and very dog-friendly, however, so that was reassuring. 
The owner told me that she just moved back to the area after being away for seven years, and even though she grew up in The Woodlands, she’s still experiencing culture shock. She created the Texas Doghouse because there weren’t any doggie daycare options in the area, and she needed one for her three English Laboradors.

“There are lots of Bubbas—redneck types—outside of The Woodlands, and it takes some getting use to,” she said. “I asked one man [who came in] if his dog was neutered or spayed and he said, ‘Uh, yeah, my dog is spatered.’”

4:00 p.m. I’m pleased to note that Izzie received a glowing report card (they really have those). Here’s what it said, “Izzie was a very good girl today! She loves everyone and everyone loves her!” If only my kids could receive report cards like that.

Thursday, December 8

9:30 a.m. David and I went for a walk with Izzie this morning dressed like something out of a L.L. Bean catalog gone awry. I didn’t realize how freezing it was outside (the cars were covered in ice), so I changed from my hiking boots into my duck boots before going outside, despite the fact that I was wearing capri-length exercise pants. On top of my t-shirt and sweater I wore a down jacket and a random knit cap that I think I adopted from my nephew awhile back. To say I looked motley is an understatement.

David was equally splendid in tartan plaid fleece pants, which look more like pajama bottoms, paired with Blunnies and his bright red snow jacket. We were quite the pair.

On the way home from our walk, an SUV with faux reindeer antlers and a big red nose  on the front bumper drove past us. “I’ve seen about a dozen of these,” said David. Apparently people around here don’t just deck the halls—they deck their homes, their yards and their cars, too.
11:00 a.m. Governor Rick Perry’s newest television ad features him “questioning why soldiers can serve openly in the military while children ‘can’t openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school.’” Seems they do, actually, at least around here.

There are apparently weekly prayer circles outside the local public middle school. A friend of mine told me that her son was asked to join by his teacher, so he felt he had no other choice but to be a part of it, despite the fact that he's Jewish. She said that while teachers haven’t participated as much in recent years, there is a dedicated group of students who still have weekly prayer circles in front of the school. Perry would be proud.

Aidan learned about St. Nicholas in school this week, since they're studying international holidays. I looked up St. Nicholas and happened upon these interesting tidbits:

  • St. Nicholas is the patron saint of sailors, merchants, archers, thieves, children, and students.
  • The modern name for St. Nick comes from the Dutch Sinterklaas, itself from a series of elisions and corruptions of the transliteration of “Saint Nikolaos.”
So, the name Santa Claus is apparently the result of playing the “telephone game” through the years. "Your name is what? Sinterklaas? Santerclaws? I'll just call you Santa Claus!"



1 comment:

  1. *I* would certainly give you a wonderful report card on your kids: they are loving,laughter-filled and bright! I think Abby even prefers them to Izzie --and that says a lot!

    ReplyDelete