Friday, February 10, 2012

Entry #39


Entry #39


Monday, February 6

10:00 a.m. I caused an avalanche at the market today. A small one, but there was definitely some downhill rolling involved. This isn’t the first time I’ve picked up a piece of fruit, only to have the entire display begin collapsing on itself, but this time the apples were barely stacked. I can well understand if there’s a huge mountain of fruit and a person wants one from the bottom, but all I did was pick up an apple from a small groundswell (not even a hill), and yet they came a rollin’. Luckily I stopped them before they plunked to the ground. Didn’t quite look as cool as Robert Pattinson’s Twilight scoop-up-the-apple-on-the-shoe trick, but truth be told, that thing was on a wire.


Shortly following my apple fiasco, I went to get some almond butter from the grinding machine and pulled out the drawer holding the flimsy plastic containers, causing them to fly out of their compartment. What’s with me today? I could be the Butterfinger poster girl...Definitely not a good day to take up sword fighting or brain surgery.


I finally found the whereabouts of the public library and got an official card, as well as a book for Aidan (which, to my amazement, was actually on the shelves!). The main floor has a huge room comprised entirely of children’s books, which I love. I wandered aimlessly there for a few minutes realizing both my kids are now too old to spend time in the children’s area of the library. Feels like we were just there, reading piles of picture books aloud. I really miss that. Guess I'll just have to pull up a bean bag chair and read to myself, or borrow a preschooler every now and then.

Aidan's rarin' and ready to wrangle those preschoolers, too, in the role of babysitter. Now that he's taken his Red Cross course, he wants to start working! I made him a business card, about which he's pretty stoked. Perhaps he'll need to begin as a "mother's helper," since he's only 11 (remember that term?). For his card, I used this photo of Aidan and his cousin, Abby, taken many moons ago.


Noah saw Daniel Radcliffe’s newest film last weekend, The Woman in Black. He was supposed to see Chronicle with his friends, but it was sold out, so he felt obligated to follow suit and see this PG-13-rated horror film, much to his dismay.

We’d watched the trailer the day before, which scared the bejeebers out of all of us. Noah decided he definitely did NOT want to see this movie. Little did he know he would be watching it the following day. He did not sleep by himself that night, needless to say. I don't imagine he will ever look at cymbal-clapping monkeys or porcelain dolls every the same way again.



Tuesday, February 7

9:00 a.m. David went running early this morning, then picked up some freshly roasted coffee at the Dosey Doe, a coffee house/restaurant/local music venue, along with their breakfast menu and list of upcoming events.



Here you can enjoy chicken fried steak, Scotch egg empanadas, honey-cured “pit” ham, or Bulgarian buttermilk pancakes in the a.m., then return after dark for some live country music! Good thing they give patrons several hours to digest their food. Ever try swinging your partner 'round and 'round on a belly full of sausage and gravy biscuits?



Wednesday, February 8

10:00 a.m. En route to school today I saw a bumper sticker that said “got bagpipes?” That’s a new one. Lots of folks from the U.K. around here.


The federal appeals court declared California’s same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional, warranting some dubious protests and counter protests, like the image featured below. All in all, there was plenty of celebrating in the San Francisco Bay area. Not quite the same sentiment is shared in The Woodlands, however.


On the radio this morning, the hosts discussed the fact that this winter has been the warmest on record in the USA, yet they still deny the existence of what they call “man-made” global warming. “You’re gonna blame global warming on my SUV?” one said. I’ve seen enough cars idling here to burst the ozone layer single-handedly, and yet they assert that “college professors and politicians” are feeding us a pile of hooey.


 Thursday, February 9

9:00 a.m. Before school today, I met with a classmate of Noah’s who’s working on a comic book project. I said I’d help him with the writing part, since each student is paired with a potentially helpful parent.

What took me by surprise was not this student's impressive illustration skills, or even how animated he was while chatting with me, but rather his description of the comic book’s super hero. The protagonist is invincible, yet he dwells in darkness because he is “not blessed.” 

"What do you mean, 'not blessed'?" I asked. "Well, he doesn't go to church," he said. "He's not blessed because he doesn't go to church?" "Well, no," he said, “He's not blessed because he wasn’t baptized by Jesus.” 

It's rather ironic that I, the only Jewish parent in the class, happen to be the person selected to work with this devout young man. Should be an interesting ride...


I’m working with another student as well. Her goal is to be a vegetarian until the end of the school year. We’ve had one brief meeting so far, during which time I learned that she’s craving meat. The only vegetables she likes to eat are cucumbers and tomatoes. So far, not exactly an expansive repetoire. 
I sent her a list of vegetables and fruit, asking her to let me know which ones she really likes, which ones she’s willing to try, and which ones she won't. It'll be interesting to see how she reacts to sampling "vegetarian foods from around the globe." I wonder if she'll let me take photos of her expressions as she tastes foods she's never eaten before.




No comments:

Post a Comment